Mr. Clifford is a principal of Law Practice Consultants, LLC. Previously, he practiced law for over 30 years concentrating in the areas of corporate, securities, and public finance. He was a partner at a Boston based national law firm where he was a member of the firm's Executive Committee for a number of years. Most recently he was a partner at Gadsby Hannah LLP where he was the Managing Partner for almost 12 years. Prior to practicing law, Mr. Clifford worked as the marketing director for an audio/video production company and as a producer of corporate image films in New York City. He received his BA from Boston College and his law degree from William & Mary School of Law.
Mr. Clifford provides a range of consulting services to law firms - concentrating on business development training and individual lawyer coaching programs, law firm governance and management issues; strategy and planning; review and restructuring of partner compensation; and evaluation and improvement of client relationships, including client interviews.
Mr. Clifford has made numerous presentations including:
- “Talking to Clients About Fees” - "The Importance of Trust in Successful Client Relationships”, Law Firm CFO Institute, Washington, DC
- “Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel” - "Ethics and Professionalism”, Northeast Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel and Boston Bar Association, Boston, MA
- “Law Firm Trends and Outlook”, Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston MA
- “How to Run a Successful Mid-size Law Firm”, International Business Law Consortium Annual Meeting, Salzburg, Austria
- “Trends in Law Firm Management”, International Business Law Consortium Annual Meeting, Salzburg, Austria
- “Two-Tiered Partnerships: Are They Right For Your Firm?”, Meritas Law Firms Annual Meeting, Washington, DC
- “How Managing Partners Can Empower Their Marketing Directors”, Legal Marketing Association Conference, Ashland, MA
- “How to Manage Your Career in Difficult Economic Times”, William & Mary Law School, Williamsburg, VA
- Managing Partner Forum, Atlanta, Georgia
- Managing Partner Forum, Boston, MA
- LMASE Chapter - "Top 50 business Development Tips for Lawyers" - Greensboro, NC
Mr. Clifford has been profiled a number of times and is frequently quoted in the Boston Business Journal on issues relating to law firm management and trends in the legal profession, has been featured in law firm management articles in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, and has also been quoted in American Lawyer, Mass High Tech and National Law Journal - Massachusetts Edition.
Mr. Clifford is a former member of the Advisory Committee for the town of Wellesley, MA and currently serves as a member of the Board of Overseers of Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Mr. Clifford served as an officer in the U.S. Army, including a tour of duty in Vietnam.